Sunday, October 3, 2010

Une semaine à Paris

Can you believe that I have already been in Paris for one week? Well, it is a bit hard for me to believe!
Wednesday I had one class at 9am (it ended at noon) and another class for my study abroad program in which we went to the Louvre. (This is not what we will be normally doing for class, but I will probably explain that in my next blog!) Did you know that students under 26 years old can get into the Louvre with their student ID for free? (But I think this only applies to European residents . . . which I am one! I have my visa and everything!) While at the Louvre, we had a guided tour of the 17th and 18th century art. We had one guide all to ourselves: 10 students + Shelley our directrice! We got to walk around the Louvre with headphones that wirelessly connected to our guide, for our ears only!

After the Louvre, my friend Roanne and I ventured to an area of Paris similar to Harwin in Houston. There, we went to a huge k-mart like store called Tati. You can find so many things there for very reasonable (for the euro) prices. Also, around that area there are several people on the street selling cartons of cigarettes, stolen cell phones, roasted corn, and other really random stuff! It was kind of scary going out there, it was super crowded, and there were also lots of cars trying to get through the streets. Why do I even mention this trip then, since it was so scary? The Tati (or "Big Tati" as Roanne and I call it) is amazing! I bought a pair of rain boots for 7.99 Euro . . . alright. Enough about Wednesday. I remember that I was also very tired that day!

Thursday I had no class (random day for not having class . . . ) and ran around the Luxembourg Garden with Roanne! (Sorry, no pictures. . .  I was running. But I'm sure I will have some of the garden eventually.) The day started off a bit rainy (which actually happens more often than you think) but the weather ended nicely. Thursday was also the day that my roommate of five days, Ymânne, left our foyer. She had been in Paris for un stage (similar to an internship) and had to move out. We said our goodbyes and I was pretty sad. She was so welcoming and kind when I moved in! (I think she even made my bed for me before I arrived.)

Friday I had one class Phonetics at 2pm (ended at 5pm. Roanne and I went running in the morning and the weather was beautiful! Just a bit chilly, but still lovely. Friday night, Dustin and Emily surprised me and came by my foyer at 9:30pm. It was kind of rainy outside, but they convinced me to accompany them to the Eiffel Tower. It was beautiful! Did you know, that for the first five minutes of every hour, the tower sparkles? But according to Dustin, it's only for five minutes at a time, because it's so expensive! After the Eiffel Tower, we hopped the metro down to l'Arc de Triomphe. Did you know that you can also climb to the top of that structure? We didn't though . . . it was a little too late, and a little too wet.

Saturday I woke up early (again!) for a run and then did a bit of homework. (yep, I'm in school, remember?) After lunch I went out shopping with a couple of girls from my foyer: Charlenne from Mauritius and Majd from Tunisia. We went to Big Tati again, and then to a real mall (Les Halles). It was ridiculous! If you think that the Galleria in Houston is huge, Les Halles is even more grand with even more people, and that day, EVEN MORE SALES. I had to leave the two of them a bit early to come back to the foyer. Meghan, Dustin, Emily, Jenna, and I made dinner (picture down below)! My foyer has a quaint little kitchen that is open all the time for us to use. Yep, I have to cook my own meals! And, I will admit, I am not chef.

Saturday night, the city of Paris hosted "Nuit Blanche." A night of free exhibitions, concerts, and light shows throughout the city! (Really, they had events starting from 7pm until 7am Sunday morning.) Jenna, Emily, Dustin, Meghan, Majd, Anastasia (another girl from my foyer) and I ventured out into the night! We went to an exhibit at the Louis Vuitton building on the Champs Elysee, saw another exhibit in the Yves Saint Laurent building, stopped by l'Hotel de Ville (city hall) and even walked to Notre Dame! We crossed over a super super crowded bridge in search for glow in the dark buttons (we couldn't find any for ourselves, but everyone was wearing them . . .) and then ended our night at an artisan boulangerie! (basically, they make delicious bread) There, they served three different small breads for free! (in our bags we got a croissant, a roll type bread, and then a mini baguette) We returned back to the foyer at about 1:30am, and I must say, I hope that is the latest that I will be out in Paris!

This morning Roanne and I got lost after our run. After we went to the Luxembourg Garden on Thursday we decided to spend our next few runs exploring the 14th arrondissement. Today, the weather was gorgeous! This run in particular was nice because we could see the Eiffel Tower (it was far away of course) and found a street with an incline! However, after we started walking, and were pretty close to our foyers, WE GOT LOST! (it was my fault. I will admit it)

I met Kelly at the Gaité metro stop and we went to Hillsong Paris! I must say that going to Hillsong Paris starts off my week on a wonderful note! The songs that we sang today were particularly touching to me as we sang a lot about giving our lives up to God. Even the sermon was exciting as the pastor talked about Joshua 1 and the opportunities that we are presented with! (Like the opportunity to study abroad in PARIS!)


The rest of my Sunday has been relaxing, having meals with friends and doing homework (which I have successfully finished! yaaaaay!!!) Hopefully I didn't bore you with this long recount of the past few days! I just have one question for you though.

What is something delicious and nutritious that is simple to make? I suppose I will call myself the "Chef in Training."

I would love ideas, recipes, or any advice that you can give!

okay. It's picture time!


Emily and I with our cool headphones for the Louvre tour!

Ymânne and me the night before she left
The Eiffel Tower at night!
Oh, look, there's the Arc!
Our first family dinner. Oh . . . spaghetti . . .
Heading out for Nuit Blanche
A view of the Champs Elysee from the top of Louis Vuitton
By far my favorite painting of the night!

1 comment: