Wednesday, September 22, 2010

th1rt3en




What?

Believe it or not, my time here in Tours is coming to a close. That means, I am only going to be in France for 13 more weeks! My, if time is flying this fast now, Paris is going to be crazy!

So, what have I been up so since last post? Well. Let me share!

This past weekend was France's culture weekend! Basically, the country encouraged its residents (and visitors) to explore France's rich history: the castles, museums, towns, anything French in France! My friends and I took advantage of this weekend and traveled, by train, to another town called Blois to visit its château. We left around 10am that morning and returned about 4pm that night. I know that it may not seem like that was a long trip, but my goodness, we were walking up and down mini-hills and the sun was full bright! But because it was culture weekend, and my family packed me a lunch, the entire trip only cost 4 euros! (The train ticket to AND from, the castle was free) In Blois we explored the château, visited a small cathedral, spent some time by the Loire, and then hung out at a cafe before taking our train back to Tours.

Sunday I slept in and went running with my friend Dustin! (Though he didn't really run. . . I think he just sat and wrote in his journal.) There is a very pretty creek-ish type place in the southern part of the town (the Loire runs through the north side). An interesting observation that I made while running (sorry I couldn't take any pictures of it), not all French people finish their bread! Maybe because it was a Sunday, or perhaps this happens every day, but I saw more than a handful of families tossing old bread to the ducks! It was really cute to observe, though. Not only were the kids doing it, but the adults were also! Later, we joined some other friends for the Karate Kid (dubbed in French. . . . Jackie Chan speaking French?!). It was a good movie to watch in French, though I had already seen it twice before in English.

Monday started our final week of classes at l'Institut de Touraine. It was kind of sad to know that our stay was already halfway over! However, after class, Roanne, Emily, Chacha and I went to explore the Botanical Garden here in Tours! It was quite lovely! They have a plethora of different kinds of flowers, herbs, and they even have animals! (Wallabies, flamingos, turtles, and even an emu!) It was a lovely day, however, this is the day when I started to feel sick. During class I would be hot, and then very cold - and the cycle would continue.

Monday night, I definitely had a fever and Tuesday morning I was miserable. Thankfully, I packed along lots of Advil and Zyrtec (for runny noses and such. Mucinex if it got any worse) and a few prayers and several pills later, I was much better on Wednesday morning! (Oh, that was this morning!!!)

Despite not having felt well Tuesday morning (probably the drugs had kicked in by this time) I accompanied my friends to a little lake past the fleuve where I went running. It was a nice little walk, the sun was out and there were several people also out for a jog/stroll. The cool thing about this little man-made lake was that there were sailboats on the water!

Today, we did not have afternoon class. But there were several things to do! After lunch, my friends and I went to H&M! Afterward, Emily and I went to a bookstore, another Best Buy mixed with Borders type store called the FNAC, strolled down the wednesday/saturday market, and picked up a few odds and ends at another store on the way home.

All in all, my time here in Tours has been very interesting and enjoyable! (I suppose I write this because I think this will be my last blog from Tours) I have met so many different international students and have already learned a lot about myself! I can't wait for Paris! So, until then, I will say goodbye!

Oh, but please enjoy these pictures :)


Waiting for our Train to Blois as we eat apples from our host families  

scenery from the train ride back to Tours






First time riding in a Cabin - it reminded us of Harry Potter!


Finally! A group picture of the entire Paris Fall 2010 Program!


The Tours Botanical Garden

A very small portion of the Wednesday/Saturday market

Mr. Oscar Gnome writing postcards with me!

1 comment: